Ceramics Throw-Down

The Shrek Theme Freaky Fusion!
Johnathan Banaszek
The Shrek Theme Freaky Fusion!

Prairie High School’s students participated in a competition against Washougal, Legacy, and Battleground High School. The throw-down happened at Battleground High School on March 16th, 2024 at 9 AM.

The Team consisted of students Jadyn Conn, Preston Hill, Emma Fedorenko, Emma Geromichalos, Adisyn Lowey, and Johnathan Banaszek.  

The throw-down is annually meaning it happens every year whether hosted by one of the participating schools. Last year, Ms. Stevens worked with the ceramics teacher at Battleground High School to put this event together for the first time. They hosted her first competition at Battleground High School and Prairie won first place! Although this year Battleground sought revenge and won first place. 

There were many different competitions in this throwdown whether solo or in a group consisting of the biggest coil, zoo mugs, monster mash, pinch box, mash nesting, and tea cups. With the zoo mugs being on a one-hour and thirty-minute timer!

Monster Mash was one of those activities that required the whole group. Four students separated but still had to work together with no communication between them. So my friend did the dragon’s head, another friend of mine did Shrek’s body and then I tried to do Donkey’s legs.” Said Senior Johnathan Banazek.

Both John and Adisyn encourage students to consider joining the throw-down next year! With more advertisement or talk this could get around and potentially have more schools enrolled to compete!

Getting the word out about events like these is super important, so much so that a competitor from last year’s throwdown, and current prairie ceramics student Natalie Coughran spoke at a board meeting to raise awareness.  She made flyers with information regarding the competition and handed them out to the board and invited them to join as spectators. “This competition deserves more recognition, we often see all of the attention go to sports and things other than art.”

“I hope so it’s very fun, I had a good time. I wasn’t going at first but I decided to and it was worth it.” Said Sophomore  Adisyn Lowoy.