Prairie Wrestlers Place At State

Prairie wrestling team after multiple places at the Tacoma Dome
Monica Crousore

Washington wrestlers traveled to the Tacoma Dome to compete for the State Title. Prairie had 5 wrestlers’ place, including a second-place title from Mason Frei and a now three-time state champion title from Faith Tarrant. Along with Seth Blick who placed 4th, Aaliyah Young at 4th, and Tommie Vick with an 8th place finish. 

This season Prairie did very well, taking first place at multiple tournaments, districts, and regionals. The season was over and done with faster than wrestlers expected; although, Prairie wrestlers had a strong performance at state.  “My main goal towards the end of the season was to do the best I could possibly do. Whether that was a state champion or not didn’t matter to me. I just wanted to wrestle my absolute best, which I did,” co-captain Seth Blick commented. During an interview with both Seth Blick and other finalists, they were proud of both the team and their medals earned in Tacoma.

Consistency and confidence were a common challenge for the finalists. Staying at the top of your game while competing against the best Washington has to offer is not an easy obstacle. A mistake is a mistake, you can end up losing to anyone. Wrestlers are put through a great deal of conditioning, whether that be nutrition or technique. “It was worth it to make it as far as I did,” Co-Captain Mason Frei stated.

Seth and Mason will both be leaving Prairie next year and with vacancy comes uncertainty for any team. However, both captains constructed a legacy for younger students. One way was to guide practices effectively and illustrate a work ethic that motivates the entire team. “At wrestling tournaments, me and Seth would do the right thing and show how to behave on and off the mat.” As a captain, your duty extends off the mat, displaying an honorable stature is one of the most important jobs.

“League, district, and regional champs for sure but I’d love to see them do better as a team at state than we did this year,” Blick remarked. With a triumphant end to the 2024 season, high hopes continue into next season with a new set of wrestlers joining the team.