Preparing For The First Throwing Meet

Will Foster throwing a disc at a meet on Friday
Wyatt Galipeau

March 15 this Friday, the Falcons set out to La Center for the first track meet of the 2024 season. The throwing team has been preparing for this moment for the past weeks. The top athletes from track will be showing out to the Friday meet in hopes of setting a strong start to the season.

“I’ve seen people working their events on the track and in the weight room, and it gives me confidence our team will do great,” varsity thrower Will Foster commented. Talking to players on the throwing team, recent practices have shown promising results. Nonetheless, the team has been putting in work off-season, all leading up to the first meet. Throwing is a very technical sport, it’s not just strength in lobbing a heavy object. It takes time and practice to get the technique down.

“My coach (Jon Lawson) is the best coach I have ever had. He cares about me as an athlete and truly loves the sport,” varsity thrower Wyatt Galipeau responded. Coach Lawson was a very successful thrower in the early 2010s and has had many years of experience both throwing and coaching. Lawson pushes his athletes and is regarded as a strict teacher, who motivates his athletes to work hard.

Staying consistent amongst the pressure of performing and the end of your senior year is everything but easy. Despite that, it’s not stopping the optimism for the Falcons. “Getting a good mark early on in the season takes the pressure off yourself. It’s also super helpful to get placed high in the rankings in the invitationals after spring break,” Foster replied. It’s all about carrying momentum through the season, starting the season with determination at practice, and showing out at the events.

La Center is just the start of the season, with another meet for all track athletes on Tuesday the 19th. Track athletes are staying hopeful through the constant pressure of a new season.