Girls Wrestling Season Recap

The girls team showing off their medals after a successful placing in the Wyatt Draper tourney,
Monica Crousore

A dive into the girl’s wrestling season, 7 of 12 qualify for districts, 2 for state, and a 3x state champion. The 2024 season ended strong with even higher hopes for next year. Though the ending was successful, it came with an entirely new set of obstacles. “Numbers, we’ve never had a team as large as we’ve had. To have them in the wrestling room at one time wasn’t going to happen,” head wrestling coach Rob Smith commented. Moreover, the recent barriers to the program meant that practices had to be restructured to accommodate the new talent. Every sport is taxed with the problem of graduating seniors; with the girls, a large majority of the team is leaving a vacancy for next year.

The team’s development, nonetheless, persists. With the team headed off to state, “it has been a continual growth from the beginning of the year,” Smith said. “ I love to see kids succeed, we’ve had kids that don’t win at all and then win a match and it’s the best thing in the world.” Wrestling in general is not an easy sport; thus, it is vital for coaches to assist players in not only learning technique but to reinforce the necessity of nutrition and conditioning. Spearheaded by a tough coach, the girl’s team saw over a majority qualify for districts, and the Falcons took the regional title.

Coach Smith expects for a number of Prairie wrestlers to place at state; “If we put the work in we could be a top 4 team in the state, bring home a trophy.” In recent years, Prairie wrestlers have more than risen up to the occasion. With Kennedy Wilcox, Yana Paskur, and of course the now 3x champion Faith Tarrant all placing in state 2 years back. This year Aaliyah Young and Faith Tarrant qualified for state with intent to place in the state finals. “I truly believe me and Aaliyah have the potential to be in the state finals,” 3x champ Faith Tarrant commented. “Freshman and Sophomore year it was about proving that I belong on the top of the podium. This year is about proving that I deserve to stay there.”

It is evident that the girl’s wrestling team has had a sizable impact on the student body. “My hopes for next season are to grow as a women’s wrestling program. Wrestling has given me a second family and I want other girls to experience what I’ve had the opportunity to,” Faith noted. Sports in general offer a home where students from all backgrounds can join a community. Besides earning a 4th state title, Faith’s last goal is to leave her team prepared for years to come.