Team That Feels Like Family- An Undefeated Season for JV2 Girls Basketball

JV2 players all together on media day at Prairie.
Claire Smith

Not many basketball teams can say their record went 15-0, but for this one, they sure can. Perseverance, progress, and having fun led Prairie’s JV2 girls basketball team to a remarkably undefeated ‘23-’24 season. 

With a new JV2 coach and many incoming freshmen, a team was created that not only worked well together but was quite successful while doing so. “This season went above and beyond anything we expected,” states Coach Courtney Gibbs. “I am proud of every player for not only their progress on the court but also off the court in keeping up their grades and morale among the school.” Not only did the girls beat every opponent they faced, but often ended those games winning by over 30 points. 

Whether it was contagious laughs at practices, or screaming for each other after an “and 1” in the games, it was always an exciting and encouraging environment for JV2. “Practices were really fun to go to. It wasn’t somewhere I had to be forced to go- it was just always fun to be there,” says SeaAnna Hull, JV2’s starting freshman point guard. It was evident when watching these games that the girls truly enjoyed being there together. Beaming smiles and a lot of hustle were a constant sight on the court. Alyssa Remme, another freshman contributed a lot to the team with her quick defense and deadly blocks. “Every game and practice was so fun,” she added. 

So what’s the key to success? Coach Gibbs believed “We became an undefeated team because we played in unison! Every player had a part to do and if we all worked together, we were unstoppable. And that’s exactly what happened.” Teamwork makes the dream work seems to be very true in this case. All 10 players contributed immensely and worked hard to make it happen. Not only did they play JV2 teams from other schools, but a few were JV1 as well- and that didn’t stop them one bit from getting the dub in the end. “We pushed each other to our limits. If they’re in their head, you help them out and tell them it’s okay.” SeaAnna mentioned. A memory the girls loved was doing spotlights. They would shout out their teammates, recognizing their successes, as well as talk about what they can do better next time. 

As the season just recently ended, the girls and coach are proud of their success and how far they have come. Confidence was gained, and Coach Gibbs is eager to see the girls push themselves even further into summer ball and next year’s season. SeaAna Hull said, “I feel like we are a family and not a lot of teams are like that.” So with the bonds created and memories that won’t be forgotten, everyone is excited to see what the future holds for Prairie Girls Basketball.