What’s Next for Prairie Golf? Long Time Head Coach Takes Medical Leave

The Prairie Falcons home course - Tri Mountain, hole #9
Maddy Moore
The Prairie Falcons home course – Tri Mountain, hole #9

The 2024 spring season of girl’s golf at Prairie is getting off to a worrisome start. This is provided by the year of leave absence from the high school’s previous head coach, Paul Shapard, leaving the team coachless. At least for now. 

Right before the boy’s fall season, Coach Shap officially announced his departure from the team in August, after 35 successful years of coaching at PHS. This disheartening action was due to Shap’s medical history. His struggles escalated in June of 2023, and are still continuing today. “We’re taking this season by season,” says Stephanie Watts, Prairies Athletic Director. 

When Paul was asked about his life over the past six months, this is what he responded with. “I could write a book… I had a bad reaction to my cancer medication and was admitted to the hospital on the 26th of June. After being there for a month on a ventilator, I was moved to OHSU (Oregon Health & Science University Hospital) for another two months due to the rarity. I’ve now been in rehab up until two weeks ago.”

Now that Shap won’t be there, the former golf coach wishes for his teams to “Continue their winning ways. We have great kids.” He also exclaims that coaching at Prairie had been wonderful. “…Many of the kids who’ve played for me have become great friends of mine after graduating.”

Turning over to the AD here at Prairie High School, Watts shared some great news and said that she had hired BJ Swearer as the new girl’s golf coach. “He’s been coaching Columbia River’s boys C-Team, and was the head pro at Heron Lakes Golf Course for many years.” According to Stephanie, BJ has vast knowledge surrounding golf and is excited to be involved at Prairie. 

During the hiring process, both Shap and Watts were asked: If someone was thinking about applying for this position, what would you tell them? “Enjoy their time. Have fun, make sure the kids have fun, and stay competitive as we always have been,” responded Paul Shapard. Stephanie’s answer was “I would refer them to the ‘Jobs’ section on our Battleground Public School website to apply. We were looking for experience in golf, but mostly coaching.” 

In conclusion, the Girls Golf Team is on for the 2024 season, thanks to Prairie’s AD and our new head coach BJ Swearer.