First-Freshmen On Varsity Girls Basketball

Prairie varsity girls basketball team playing in their first game of the season against Hudsons Bay.
Prairie varsity girls basketball team playing in their first game of the season against Hudson’s Bay.

In a game where “it comes down to who’s gonna work the hardest and who’s gonna be the most coachable” Explains Senior Captain Claire Smith. Two girls on the Prairies girl’s basketball team went above and beyond their expectations.

Harmony Fallin and Olivia Brown are both freshmen here at Prairie who stand out. Both girls made their high school basketball debut in the first varsity basketball game of the season. Despite their age, they have proved their ability to work hard and play at the level of their older teammates. 

“They are just the hardest workers ever and it’s so awesome to see two freshmen take that role as a varsity player and just go with it,” Smith explains. “Honestly I think it’s great! We’ve really clicked as a team.” 

It’s important to recognize that the hardest part of being a high school athlete is finding ways to balance school work and sports. When speaking to Olivia she shared “It’s a lot of work and time that I’m losing, but if I set stuff up it’s pretty easy.” 

Olivia has played basketball since she was 6 years old. So moving into this next level feels like a no-brainer. Olivia said “I was really nervous at the beginning of the season, but now I’m excited.” she also shared “I was excited to play with the older girls… and play against my old teammates from other schools.”