The Dangers Of 503

The Dangers Of 503
Hannah Spencer

Can you outrun a car? This past year there has been a major increase in students walking across the 503 road which has developed worry of guardians and fellow students. 

“We’ve had multiple community members call the school in the mornings/afternoons to share their concerns about student safety.” Said the Dean Mr. Fox.

With two crashes involving students, these past two years going to and from school. Both are thankfully okay and very healthy.

A minimum of 12 students walk past the 503 highway daily to get to school and go home, ever since the newer apartment buildings across the street were built and housed new residents there has been an increase in students crossing the highway unsafely. 

The school can’t tell them off or watch over their safety because it is not part of the boundary Prairie resides in. Once a student leaves campus they’re on their own. “Legally, people are allowed to cross 503 as long as they don’t interfere with traffic, though we think it is definitely not a good idea, and hugely unsafe.” Said the principal of Prairie High School Mrs. Woehr.

The 503 road is considered a state route connecting Padden Parkway to Orchards to Battleground. It was started in 1909 but officially was created into state Route 503 in 1964. In 1979 Prairie High School opened.

There is currently a talk with the county about the safety of the school but as of right now, there are no updates.