Employed Students Finding Balance

There are many students here at Prairie High School who are currently employed and are working to balance a job on top of their academics and extracurriculars. 

As most hit the legal age for most jobs of sixteen, teenagers are debating on applying for jobs. Some are required to by their parents and others simply just want some extra spending money, either way, there are both positive and difficult outcomes to being employed as a student.  

Having a job for senior Claire Smith “feels really nice because I am able to have my own income where I don’t have to ask my parents for certain things because I earned the money myself.”  Claire also finds difficulties in finding time to prioritize the things I need to get done.” 

Although Senior Lena Le enjoys the “independence” she endorsed from earning her own money, her “mental health [struggled] because I become stressed out easily so having a bunch of homework, having a test the next day on top of having to go to work right after school was really stressful for me. I felt kinda deteriorated.”  

Claire and Lena express their overall experience as being employed as beneficial and are thankful for the “balance” and “time management” it taught them. 

Their advice to others includes; finding a job that’s going to be flexible, making sure you’re in the right mental headspace, and prioritizing school.