Showing How They Get Down: Prairie Cheer

Hannah Dollar
Pink out game against Mountain View!

Stadium lights shining down, a roaring student section, and an overflow of school spirit, that’s where you will find the Prairies cheer team!

This year the cheer team has made tremendous growth as a team in and out of stunts. The “chemistry” this year among the girls has improved as “there are not as many cliques as there were last year and we all get along.” Says Senior Captain Ava Wojack. Its Prairies cheer culture to be a “family not just a team” which has proven to improve stunting abilities as these bonds improve “trust” within their “stunt pods” which remains the same all season. 

At practices, the team works on stunting and conditioning alongside preparing for performances. They rehearse what they call “quarter breaks” which are stunt routines they will perform in between each quarter of the football game or basketball game.

FNL is such an important time of year to the cheerleaders, they are “such hard-working athletes and show up rain or shine” Wojack shares. Regardless of how big or small the student section is, you’ll always find the cheerleaders on the sideline to show school spirit. They are all “happy to be there” with the team and they consider it to be the “best” time of the year!

This year cheer has a special performance for the Homecoming game and assembly. For this show, they will be performing with live music presented by Prairies Pep Band. The songs will include Toxic by Britney Spears and The Falcon Fight Song.

Senior Ava Wojack is one the the captains of the cheer team this year and she takes her role very seriously. She is there to have fun but also to make the team the best it can be. “It can be very difficult at times because there is a line between being a captain and being a coach.” Wojack enlightens. Her goal is to set an example for the underclassmen and “be someone they can look up to.” 

All the hard work the Prairie cheer team has put into this season is really starting to show. This year they will also be competing for the first time in many years as a result of their hard work, determination, and leadership!