Prairie Football: Back In The Game!

Natalie Coughran
Prairie vs Kelso game

The tables turned at District Stadium on September 29th, when the Prairie football team made the ultimate comeback and secured their first win of the season!

After a huge upset from Battleground High School Praire came back ready to earn their victory Against Kelso High School.  “We went in there with the mindset of losing not being an option.” Senior Pierson Lameh shared. The team “knew” this game had to be different, that they “had to win” as this was a league game and mattered more than the other ones when determining post-season advancement. 

With a tied score of 33-33, and a minute left a change of possession gave the ball back to Prairie. After an amazing catch was made by Braden Slamp, he also kicked and made a field goal that pushed Prairie ahead by 2 points. “It was an amazing and very hyped game to be at, I was nervous the game was going to go into overtime towards the end though.” Senior Luciile Ware mentions. 

The student section was raging with excitement as they cheered their Falcons on through this victory. “Having the pep band play gives us energy, and then we give that energy to the players on the field to bring home the win,” Ware explains. After the game, the student section was quick to take the field and congratulate the team on their hard-earned victory. 

Pierson Lameh a senior running back scored a touchdown against Kelso and also broke the school record for amount of rushing yards in a single game, with 333 rushing yards. He was unaware of this until after the game when his coach informed him of his accomplishments, “when I heard it was a great feeling, especially after all the hard work put in during the offseason.” Says Lameh.  He also just won The Columbians “Player of the Week” award for his outstanding performance.

The team plans to “continue” this success and “build” from this win in upcoming games and through the end of the season. Pierson Lameh adds “A win builds to another win, so we just need to really lock in at practice and fix the mistakes we made.” Make sure to support the Falcon Football team on their road to redemption!