Are Students More Stressed Between Holiday Breaks?

Emma Mobley
Beach themed Christmas tree in the main office

There’s no doubt that the three weeks between Thanksgiving and winter break can be hard to push through, but this stretch can feel especially long for students in High School. The wait for no school can be stressful and even become somewhat chaotic for some students, depending on their grades and the things they’re involved in. 

Having a large workload on top of playing a sport, being involved in a club – or even leading one, can make this short period feel even more overwhelming and hard to overcome. “It has definitely been really hard to manage my time with all the priorities I’ve set for myself, so it’s been really stressful trying to figure out and balance my routine,” Senior Claire Smith said when asked if it’s harder being an athlete and leading the Fellowship of Christian Athletes club during this difficult ‘season’ of school.

Grade level and involvement in activities seem to make a difference in stress levels in students during the holiday season. Senior winter sports athletes seem to be even more worried about school work and time management than ever before, while underclassmen who aren’t as involved during December seem to be less stressed.

Younger students may not feel the pressure that upperclassmen tend to feel yet, making these weeks a normal experience for some, and maybe even easier. “I personally don’t tend to give up during these few weeks…I feel like I have less work and I can just be in the holiday spirit,” Sophomore Avery Eterno said. 

This three-week funk can make anybody feel pressure or relief, no matter what grade you’re in or what you’re involved in. But, persevering, turning in assignments, and making it to winter break is going to be rewarding in the end, no matter who you are!