The Return Of Watts

Sahara Mendoza
Athletic Director Stephanie Watts hanging out her office door

As the 23-24 school year has taken off, you may have noticed a returning staff member. Previously known as principal, Stephanie Watts returns to Prairie High School as our new Athletic Director.

After being with Prairie for nine years, Watts chose a different route after the 20-21 school year. She then went to work in human resources in the district building. She felt while being there she could help support our high school staff.

While away at the district office she was working with adults all day instead of kids like her norm. This created new emotions of not feeling a part of the high school culture that she was a part of for the previous years.

Once a job had opened up to be back in the school atmosphere, Watts was more than happy to take it. “While away at human resources my days felt repetitive,” Athletic Director Stephanie Watts said. “I thrive in chaos.” 

When asked about the changes from previous school years Watts exclaimed  “ The student body has changed, for the better. With the addition of more clubs and diversity of the previous one, students have found their safe places” 

While most of the students at Prairie spend their days away from their parents, this isn’t the case for Sophmore, Samuel Watts. When I asked him if he enjoyed his mom working at his school, Samuel said “Yes, I know I can rely on my mom throughout the day if I ever need her” 

As the year progresses Watts hopes to make this year memorable for students and that children will find their purpose and enjoy their year and next years to come.