Decrease in School Spirit at Prairie- How Can it Be Changed?

Falcon+student+section+in+their+best+tropical+gear+on+September+1%2C+2023.+
Unknown
Falcon student section in their best tropical gear on September 1, 2023.

Friday Night Lights is a time for being rowdy, dressing up, and cheering on your team. However, at Prairie, students and staff have noticed a decrease in that school spirit this year specifically. A YouTube video created 3 years ago to welcome the incoming freshman class of 2024, shows the student sections of both football and indoor games, being huge and loud. Now, those freshmen are seniors, and something is noticeably different. 

What happened to the school spirit? Some say it was COVID, others say it is something different. “I think it’s a factor, I don’t think it’s a result. Covid didn’t help, and now it’s just trying to get that built back up,” says Stephanie Watts, Prairie High School’s athletic director. “The kids have to be willing to get the crowd going, a lot of times they rely on the cheerleaders.” She claims that although the spirit has been low, she notices it rising again to be how it used to be.

Many pictures of the student sections in this 2023 season reveal a high attendance, although, behind the photo, the actual cheering was at an all-time low. “There has been a major difference. People are not rallying at the game- not really wanting to. People tend to just be there because their friends are there, and not really for the team playing.” was junior ASB vice president, Malik Horne’s response to the overall school spirit of this year so far. 

So what can be changed? The easiest answer is “…to not be embarrassed. Do the chants, have fun, and just be crazy.” says Nate Merritt, a senior, and one of the main leaders of Prairie’s student sections. At the end of the day, school spirit is what makes the experience fun and memorable. From an athlete’s perspective, having people at your game, who care and support you and your team is so big. It makes all the hard work pay off because you now get to share it with others who attend. 

If you’re a Prairie student, make it your goal to increase that school spirit that has been lacking this year. It takes everyone to make that happen, not just the cheerleaders, or people in the front row of student sections. Seniors will tell you, that high school goes by fast, so make it enjoyable. Attend the events, be loud and crazy, and overall just have fun. This time of life is so special, and something you’ll only experience once.