FCA At Prairie

Cam Watilo
Claire Smith speaking at an FCA event with other high school FCA leaders.

Fellowship of Christian Athletes is rising up at Prairie, with record attendance and events to share the impact of FCA. 

FCA is for students & athletes, believers or not. They get together to play games, bond, learn about the ¨word¨, and learn how to show ¨God’s love through sports.¨ FCA hosts many events, one of which is their basketball and volleyball tournaments, students make teams with their friends and get free Chick-fil-A afterward. It has been a tremendous hit at Prairie and definitely a proud FCA tradition.

Something prominent about FCA this year specifically is attendance. Last year FCA had a consistent group of about 8-10 students, in contrast to this year’s first meeting in 2023. Which had over 60 students in attendance, filling the classroom to the brim. ¨I couldn’t believe the amount of kids at our first meeting, but it brought me so much joy to know that we can impact some of these students.¨ Shared FCA Leader, Senior Claire Smith.

The main goal is to provide hope for students at Prairie because sometimes students just need an outlet. Smith says, ¨there are many things you can go to for temporary relief, but the permanent one is God.¨ FCA wants to create an environment at school where students can come together and talk about matters pressing to them, to get support or advice from peers and the words of god. ¨I love the community of FCA because it has created so much bonding, where we can grow closer to each other, while also growing closer to God.¨ Smith enlightens. 

FCA has been a growing force here at Prairie was students say they can just ¨sit and listen¨ even if they choose to not be directly involved they are still ¨directly impacted.¨  FCA also helps students overcome obstacles, such as public speaking. ¨Sophomore year I was terrified to speak in front of groups, and now 2 years later I just spoke at an event last week in front of 150 people about the impact we can make through FCA, especially at Prairie,¨ vocalized Smith. 

FCA is about uplifting the community and letting yourself ¨ feel that God is opening this new door for you.¨ Make sure to keep an eye open for upcoming FCA events and meetings.