PHS Football Season Results In An Unexpected Outcome

Emma Bryans
Ready for action, the Prairie falcons defense lined up and ready for the snap of the football against the Union Titans offense.

Coming off of a more successful season last year, I think we all had higher hopes and expectations for this year’s football season. The Falcons overall record ended 2-7. This left many falcons questioning what was the reason for this outcome. 

This season was proven to be tough for the Falcons. There were a lot of unfortunate losses that were unexpected compared to previous years. The season started up rough with a hard loss against Auburn which ended in a fairly close score of 14-12 Auburn.

The turning point that made most PHS students question the Falcons was the historic rivalry Battleground vs Prairie game. This season’s game ended with the Tigers’ victory 42-7 over the Falcons. The Falcons previously had beaten the Tigers by a substantial margin in previous years.

The rumors are true that a few Falcons had quit throughout the season one of them being Seth Blick, who had previously played football all four years of high school at Prairie. As dedicated to his senior teammates as he was, he ended up quitting after the loss against Union. “I think there was a lot of disorganization within the coaches, sometimes we’d be at practice and they’d not even have a practice plan, or we’d show up to workouts and they wouldn’t be there to let us in the weight room. And then once I saw that there wasn’t a chance for league I didn’t feel like they needed me and I wanted to protect myself for wrestling.” Blick states. 

All-league senior, Braeden Slamp also had thoughts on the season. “I’m definitely not satisfied once so ever, we definitely should’ve won at least two of the games we lost,” says Slamp. 

Both seniors agreed more organization among the coaching staff could’ve potentially been the key to changing the seasons’ outcome.