Sweet Surprises

Sweet surprises being sold at lunch.
Madison Boston
Sweet surprises being sold at lunch.

Prairie High School’s ASB puts together sweet surprises perfect for the upcoming holiday!

As Valentine’s Day approaches there is less and less time to get gifts and treats for friends and loved ones. Sweet surprises put together by Prairie’s ASB are an affordable, cute way to show affection during this holiday.

Mrs. Ross, the ASB advisor along with Mr. Root, her co-advisor, and students a part of ASB all work hard to prep and put together these Valentine’s Day gifts that could make someone’s day.

Why sell sweet surprises? These are a fun way to celebrate the holiday along with other treats sold during Halloween and other holidays. These sweet surprises may deliver nostalgia as many remember painting and making fun boxes to give and receive valentines from their classmates in elementary school. Mrs. Ross believes “In high school, we got away from all of that fun kid stuff because people think high schoolers don’t want that, but high schoolers still like fun things like that. This also gives leadership students an opportunity to take on events and learn how to break down a project and plan it.”

Funds from sweet surprises go towards “assemblies for props, materials for posters around the school, and such.” Mrs. Ross says. The funds always go back to the school in many different ways. 

A member of ASB contributes time, and hard work on sweet surprises like other members. Kaitlyn Nielsen states “People should buy Sweet Surprises because it is a way to show affection to someone that you care about. You never know what someone might be going through, so getting a sweet surprise could brighten their day.”

Sweet surprises are sold in the commons during lunch for $2.00 on February 5th-9th and then discounted to $1.00 on February 12th-14th. Make someone’s day and purchase a fun sweet surprise! Teachers even enjoy getting these as Mrs. Ross “Would want a pair of the cute sunglasses for me on Valentine’s Day.”