Avery Eterno – Prairie Pride Winner

Avery Eterno standing next to a poster she made for her fellow falcons to see
Claire Neuman

Student athlete Avery Eterno was chosen as one of the Prairie Pride winners this past week. Having Prairie Pride is about more than just how you act in the classroom or when a teacher is watching, it is about what you do when you think no one is looking. 

When Avery is asked if she thinks she deserves this recognition she responds by saying,”…I deserve it because I work super hard every day to be the best student I can.” The PRIDE in Prairie Pride stands for preparation, respect, integrity, determination, and excellence. Just by being herself, Avery is able to showcase all of these expectations and be a good example for her fellow students.

Starting out her freshman year of high school by making the varsity volleyball team, she has been able to maintain good grades throughout her year including her recent sophomore season. Going off of that, her good character did not go unnoticed by her coach Jen Palmernwho made her one of the off-season leaders to help lead her team and the program as a whole. 

Avery is liked by all of her teachers, classmates, and teammates, by just being the person that she is. No one is perfect, even some of Prairie´s best students make mistakes sometimes. 

While we might not always see this side of Avery, she admits that she struggles, “When things are just not going my way and piling up in general,” which is something that all of us can relate to. 

However, Avery does not let this stop her from being a good role model. When asked what advice she would give to students struggling to represent the prairie attitude well, she says, “Always remember that what you do has an effect on others around you.”

It is up to you whether that effect is positive or negative because it is something that only you can control.