Schools Struggling Throughout The District: Bonds

This+is+the+rotting+roof+at+Lauren+Middle+School.+The+rusted+old+roof+is+becoming+unsafe+
Amanda Richter
This is the rotting roof at Lauren Middle School. The rusted old roof is becoming unsafe

Battle Ground School district hasn’t passed a bond since 2005, leaving students and teachers struggling with each passing year. 

In the past 18 years, schools have been troubled and students have suffered from lack of security to large class sizes. 

Prairie High School science teacher Rhonda Bash who has been in the district for over 20 years is a huge advocate for schools. With the teacher-to-student ratio, students are finding it hard to get the help they need in class. “We are growing and we need to grow as well.”  

Although she does understand the reasons people may vote no. People who don’t have children who aren’t in school or for not want tax prices to rise for those on fixed incomes. However, safety is a huge issue with the older schools in the district. Leaving lots of unlocked and exposed doors. 

Director of Communications and Community Engagement Amanda Richter states “Although Battle Ground Public Schools spends millions each year to maintain schools, many still have facility issues to be addressed that affect the learning environment for students and staff. State funding alone is not sufficient.” 

Amanda brought up the issue of security on campus as well. “If approved, the levy would help fund ongoing security improvements.” This would involve higher security in entrances to the schools, and surveillance cameras.

As the Battle Ground School district grows, accommodations have to happen for the success and safety of children. Will these bonds be passed anytime soon?