Get Credits At The Work Place

The Work Based Learning Logo
ACTEONLINE.org
The Work Based Learning Logo

Work-based learning is a great elective option that is offered to Juniors and Seniors who have jobs. You get the chance to work while earning school credits. This class you can take for half a year or the whole year which takes away one of your periods during the school day. 

Senior Peyton Cassinelli is enrolled in the work-based learning program. Peyton speaks very highly of the program. “…I believe it’s a great start for the younger generation of students to start learning how to utilize their time and gives them more responsibility for flexibility. I highly recommend.” Peyton started work-based learning at the beginning of his senior year and towards the end, he still is loving it. 

Jenn Miller is the career guidance specialist at Prairie who helps run the work-based learning program here at Prairie under Kris Neal who is the work-based learning coordinator for The Battleground school district. Miller also recommends the program to students as long as they meet the requirements. So what are the requirements for this class? “Need a job, need room in your schedule, cooperative employer. They need to be willing to do paperwork and evaluations. Student needs to get 180 hours each period of work-based learning and need to be willing to learn work and life skills.” 

Work base learning may have a few flaws but the pros outweigh the cons. With the ability to offer students open flexibility, it’s helping build a stronger workforce for our economy as well as teaching accountability and responsibility which is very important for life skills as well as the future. If you are a Junior or Senior and have a job you should consider signing up!