Prairie Decides: Are There More Doors Or Wheels In The World?

A+car+in+the+Prairie+parking+lot.+
Julianne Hoffman
A car in the Prairie parking lot.

Harmless internet debates are one of the few things that can unite yet divide people at the same time. The ability to be able to have fun together by arguing about silly and otherwise pointless things is a gift, a gift many are blessed with. Prairie students are blessed with this very gift, with a simple question being able to spark multiple lighthearted arguments between friends. Are there more doors or wheels in the world?
The doors vs. wheels debate began in early 2022, on a poll posted on Twitter (now X) by user Ryan Nixon. The poll gained over 200,000 votes in four days. The discussion didn’t stop there, and reached out to other platforms over time, mainly gaining traction on TikTok. While a true conclusion may never be reached, it is still fun to debate.

During Falcon Support on February 22nd, many students and a few teachers were asked if there were more doors or wheels in the world. 

Doors are a key part of daily life. After all, you likely have to pass through two doors in your home to leave for school in the morning ‒ your bedroom door, and your front door. Additionally, you might open the fridge door to grab things to make your breakfast or lunch. Do cabinets count? There is a lot to be considered. However, despite how many doors are used in daily life, they weren’t the popular answer among Prairie students, receiving only 19 votes. That’s just 28% of the people asked. There could have been more votes, but many changed their minds to wheels when thinking about it a little more with friends. 

Consider this: many doors also have wheels attached to them. Cars have both doors and wheels, and typically the same amount of each, but not every vehicle on the road has the same amount, an example being semi trucks, which have 18 wheels on average. The argument for wheels skyrockets when considering toy cars, such as Hot Wheels. These are just a few of the many arguments brought up by the 49 students who voted for Wheels, becoming the majority vote with 72% of the votes.

Therefore, Prairie has decided that there are more wheels in the world than doors. Friends laughed together while they debated, and the words “That’s a tough question,” were heard countless times. However, in the end, most of Prairie could agree on wheels with ease.