Why Do High Schoolers Fish?

Senior Tyler Gundy with his most prominent steel head catch to date.
Unknown

In Clark County when the fishing season starts you can find many high schoolers fishing directly after school. But why do the high schoolers fish, well fishing is a proven way to relieve stress and anxiety. It helps to get teenagers off their phones and to get out to enjoy nature. Senior Tyler Gundy said, “The reward of catching a fish is something else, it’s also very peaceful.”

You need a fishing license to be able to fish, you can get a license by visiting wdfw.wa.gov and they’ll mail you your license it may take up to 10 days. You can also contact the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife at (360)-902-2464 for additional information. You can buy your license in person at hundreds of different license dealers such as Sportsman’s Warehouse, Walmart, and designated fishing shops. Everyone 15 and older must have a fishing license. Washington residents and non-residents must have a Washington fishing license to fish or shellfish in Washington waters.

There are various types of fishing such as freshwater fishing, saltwater fishing, fly fishing, trolling, jigging, boat fishing, wading, and much more. Senior Noah Pape fly fishes and when asked about why he said “It’s so much more fun and difficult because you are trying to mimic the behavior and patterns of flies instead of just waiting on a lure.” Fishing isn’t just laminated to one type of fishing or one type of fish to catch. In the Winter you can catch Steelhead, Trout, Walleye, Pike, and Others. In the Summer you can catch Summer Steelhead, Spring Chinook, Trout, Bass, Bluegill, Early Coho, Spring Chinook, and Others. The type of fish you want to catch depends on what type of fishing you use and the time of year.

So why do high schoolers fish? Well, there is a lot of types of fishing and many types of fish to catch. It’s also a way to get outdoors and relieve stress. You can get a license and get additional information about fishing in Washington State by visiting wdfw.wa.gov. So in Clark County when the fishing season starts you can find many high schoolers fishing directly after school.