Teacher Or Coach? Rob Smith does both!

Welding+and+Machining+teacher+and+wrestling+coach+Rob+Smith%0AThis+is+Smith+in+the+shop+doing+something+he+absolutely+loves+
Destiny Campbell
Welding and Machining teacher and wrestling coach Rob Smith This is Smith in the shop doing something he absolutely loves

Many PHS students love teacher and coach, Rob Smith. From his terrible dad jokes to his amazing teaching. Inspiring (and scaring) students across the Prairies campus between welding and machining to wrestling. 

Rob Smith has been a teacher at Prairie for 20 years, getting to do what he loves between coaching, getting his hands dirty in the shop, and passing on his skills to future generations. 

“I do what I do because I do what I do.” He chuckles. Smith enjoys giving his knowledge and helping kids in and out of the classroom. The thing he likes most about it is that he can watch students between school and sports combine the two and become great student-athletes. This is something that brings him ¨pride¨ in being a teacher, teaching students skills and watching them grow. From watching students in the shop taking a simple piece of metal and turning it into something completely different to taking down opponents on the mat.

Smith is inspired every day by his family who supports him in what makes him happy, and his parents who taught him what hard work looks like. “Fred Flintstone is my hero by the way,” he adds.

Sophomore student-athlete Owen Campos is truly inspired by Smith. Owen has known Smith for only two years but he has truly made an impact on Owen´s life in the short time he has been at Prairie. “In my opinion, he’s one of the best coaches ever. He’s my favorite I’ve ever had.” 

Smith has made it known to his students that he’s there for them in whatever way he can be.  Students tend to gravitate towards him, he’s very personable and fun to be around but has a caring side to him. 

Prairie is so lucky to have a teacher like Smith who brings so much happiness and success to students here on campus!