Wrestling Senior Night

Natalie Coughran
Seniors gathering around the mat after being recognized.

On Monday, January 28th Prairie held a senior night to recognize wrestlers in the Class of 2024.

This season has been filled with ups and downs for many wrestlers. With demanding practices that prepare athletes not only for the physical, but mental challenges of a match. ¨It pushes you past your limit and then more.¨ Says Senior Felicity Heid. But this preparation doesn’t prepare the athletes to say goodbye to their senior teammates. ¨I won’t miss wrestling, but I´ll miss my team¨ Senior Captain, Mason Frei shares. 

Senior night was ¨full of memories¨ and a ¨fun¨ experience that will be remembered. After the JV wrestlers had their dual against Heritage High School, the varsity wrestlers took the floor and began their warmups, after warm-ups senior night started. The team dispersed and found their parents who were going to walk them out as they were recognized for all their hard work. 

Then one by one an announcer called the senior’s names and read a couple of fun facts about them including their favorite memory on the ¨mat¨ and their advice to younger wrestlers. They walked out, received a gift, and then took a picture with their parents and coaches. When asked how it felt to walk out with her parents Felicity exclaimed, ¨it felt exciting, but also accomplishing.¨ She went on to talk about how she always works hard to ¨make them proud.¨

To many, the Prairie Wrestling program is a ¨second family¨ and wrestling is more than just a sport. ¨ Wrestling isn’t just a sport is something that taught me how to be disciplined and determined.¨ Heid states. Many have said it helped them find confidence and comfort in themselves.  ¨Wrestling has impacted me by giving me a level of focus that I wouldn’t have without it.¨ Frei shares. Prairie wishes these seniors luck in all of their adventures and they will always have a place in Prairie’s family.