Prairie Unified Basketball!

Prairie Unified Basketball competing against each other in a scrimmage.
Micheal Rovig

After a heartbreaking loss in districts last year, the Prairie Falcons Unified Basketball Team is back in action. They begin this new 2023-24 season with high hopes and a state championship in their eyes! 

The new season began late last month, and the team is full of enthusiasm and excitement. “This season I am really looking forward to the overall team building that can happen,” Senior team member Owen Ziegler says “Everybody is working together really well in these first practices and everyone is showing a lot of improvement.”

At a team practice on November 14, 2023, the team handed out their jerseys for the season, boosting excitement even further than before. Basketball, youth leadership, and sharing the experience with friends are what Junior team member Jiana Razzaghy is most excited about this coming season.

The team will be coming back strong this year with extra motivation to claim the state championship, with last year still heavy on their hearts. “I feel a state championship coming, I don’t see us losing a game honestly,” Ziegler says. Owen is not the only one who feels this way either. Feeling the excitement of the new season, senior team member Elijah Ziolko can’t wait to get to state and have a great time as a team.

The loss last year to Evergreen in a district match brought the 2022-23 Unified Basketball season to a somber end. However, with all the excitement and enthusiasm from players and team staff, Unified Basketball is sure to have a show-out season this year.

They begin the new season with a game against La Center at La Center High School on Saturday, January 20, 2024.