Prairie Decides: What Colors Are “The Dress?”

The original photo of the dress that was spread around the internet.
Cecilia Bleasdale

Every individual is different, in small ways or large ways, and in ways that can or cannot be seen. It can be fun to see our differences and debate them. A key example of this is the classic “dress debate”, where the internet debated whether the dress in a photo shared online was black and blue or white and gold. While the debate may have settled down, it’s still fun to debate to this day.

The dress debate began back in 2015 when the photo was posted on Facebook by Grace Johnston. The dress was blue with black lace, but the photograph could be perceived as white with gold lace. After being posted online, the debate became a sensation within a week, with millions of people posting their opinions on the dress. The debate also became an example for scientific studies relating to vision and how we perceive things differently. But how do Prairie students and staff perceive the viral dress?

During Falcon Support on March 14th, Prairie students and staff were shown a photo of “the dress,” and then asked what colors they thought it was. 

The dress is originally black and blue, as stated earlier. A member of Prairie’s staff even confirmed this, saying she bought the dress at one point and it was black and blue. This all aligns with the way Prairie voted, with 34 people voting on black and blue, which is 58% of the votes. When voting first started, it was closer to a tie, but at some point, black and blue quickly overtook white and gold. 

While the original dress was confirmed to be black and blue, the creator actually created a spin-off recoloring in white and gold for a charity auction. This white and gold version was created in light of the way some people saw the dress. 21 of these people are in Prairie, with 36% of the total votes, which is a much smaller percentage compared to the black and blue side of the debate. 

In a weird turn of events, a few people voted for a third unlisted option. These people voted for blue and gold instead, for only 6% of the votes. These answers were usually answered with confusion by others, as most don’t see this. This third category only shows how truly different everyone is from each other.