Prairie Decides: Does A Straw Have One Or Two Holes?

Julianne Hoffman

Oftentimes, we use things daily without thinking about them in the slightest. But what happens when we do think about it? Usually, nothing serious, but occasionally, questions arise, an example being straws. Just how many holes does a straw have? 

The straw debate has been around for a long time on the internet, with one of the first mentions of it being on a blog post back in August of 2001. The debate makes its rounds every once in a while, often being asked on Reddit. However, each time, no conclusive answer can be reached, and it’s usually a pretty even split of opinions, excluding the few that may occasionally say there are no holes whatsoever. No Prairie students argued that point, though.

During Falcon Support on March 7th, students and staff were asked how many holes a straw has. 

Some argue that a straw has one hole. They may argue that a straw has one hole but two entrances, or that a hole needs two ends to be a hole which makes it one hole. With 29 votes, one hole won the debate at Prairie High School, with 67% of the votes. After all, if a straw has two holes, wouldn’t a donut technically have two holes as well?

On the other hand, some may argue that a straw has two holes. They might argue that it is a cylinder with two holes on each end, or that “hole” and “opening” have the same meaning. With only 14 votes, and 33% of the total votes, the two-hole believers have lost this debate in Prairie. Maybe they’ll win elsewhere, but for now, Prairie believes in the other side.

In the end, Prairie has decided that a straw only has one hole. Like the last decision, the winner was very clear, holding a way higher percentage. Maybe this streak of obvious winners will be broken next week by the well-known dress debate.