How do Students Feel about The Schools Culinary Program?

Hayden Tinae
Culinary Students having fun with each other, and working together.

Food is something everyone enjoys eating and sometimes cook. This is why the students at PHS are partaking in the school’s culinary program to better their understanding and skills to be able to make food safely, and properly.

The school’s culinary program is to help students learn the skills needed to make the best food they can. There are many different learning opportunities in taking the culinary program, and all of them are important for the students to learn from. One student Ashton Prasouvo said, “The most important thing that I’ve learned was how to properly prepare meals, and how to measure the ingredients properly.” Ashton is not the only student to go on record on the most important thing they’ve learned in the culinary program, and most have said the same thing. 

Mr. Pedlar one of the two Culinary teachers was asked if he thought it was important for students to learn the skills, and understanding of cooking meals Mr.Pedlar said “Certainly, It’s a life skill that will allow you to take care of yourself and eat tasty food, but more importantly how to work safely and prevent getting yourself or others sick.” As you see Mr.Pedlar cares for his student’s safety, and abilities to work safely in a kitchen. Prairie High School students who are in or have been in the school’s culinary program have said the class is a place where students can go to be part of a community that works together, and that tries to have fun when cooking. 

Mr.Pedlar was asked if he felt the way teachers acted toward their students impacted them, this is what he had to say “Well we’re all humans and I feel like sometimes the kindness towards one another is missed or forgotten during the business day. I hope students feel safe and supported in my classroom, and I feel like I’m quick to apologize if I overstep, I also feel trust is important both ways.” Many students have gone on about how they use what they’ve learned at home, and how they plan to use it in the future Student Ashton Prasouvo said “ the skills I’ve learned in Mr.Pedlar’s class help me on a day to day bases when it comes to working at my Aunts pop-up food spot, and when helping my family when cooking dinner.” Ashton also plans to go into the culinary field after school and learn more about the culinary arts. 

The students in Mr.Pedlar’s class have also praised him for how much of an understanding and supportive teacher he is, and how whenever they need help he’s always willing to. Some students from each of Mr.Pedlar’s periods have said “The environment is welcoming, and fun to work together with and it never feels like you are left out, because there’s something for everyone to be working on to make the dish as a team.” The students were then asked if the school’s culinary programs were worth taking, and all of them said “ The class is definitely worth taking with all of the skills that you will learn, and the friendship you will make is definitely something everyone should experience.” Mr.Pedlar would like any interested in the culinary program to follow the PHS culinary account on Instagram @2Dudes