• March 153/23 Unified Soccer @Washougal

• March 153/23 JV Baseball @Union 1/3pm

• March 153/22 V/JV Fastpitch vs Woodland @PHS 4pm

Filed under Showcase, Sports

Super (?) Bowl

Back to Article
Back to Article

Super (?) Bowl

Well, football season is finally wrapped up. Undoubtedly America’s new favorite pastime, the 2018 season ended Sunday with a Super Bowl full of records. Tom Brady, 41, became the oldest quarterback to win a championship, and Bill Belichick became the oldest coach at 66. But one record broken was by far the most blatant and obvious. It was a record low of only 16 points scored in the entire contest.

Here’s the issue, football is only fun when people are scoring. For example, the Chiefs-Rams game during the regular season was one of the most exciting and talked about events for weeks. The reason why? The total combined score was over 100 points! Touchdowns and field goals were in excess, and the game went down to the wire. Compare that to Sunday’s contest, which featured a Rams team that punted on its first 8 drives, and you have yourself quite the disparity.

What’s unfortunate is the fact that it wasn’t only Los Angeles with the poor play. To begin, Tom Brady’s first pass was tipped and intercepted. THE FIRST ONE. What became of this? A Rams punt. The first points of the game weren’t even scored until the 2nd quarter, with the Patriots getting on the board with a 42-yard field goal. From there, nothing. It took until the 4th quarter for the Pats to score a touchdown, only then making it 10-3.

I think what stood out most to me during this whole game was the TERRIBLE quarterback play. A notable play was when Tom Brady, the apparent GOAT, whiffed on a pass to his running back that barely had to travel 3 yards. THREE YARDS. He is in the national football league, getting paid millions of dollars to miss a pass my 5-year old nephew could make. Additionally, Rams QB Jared Goff was missing throws left and right, seemingly unable to hit the broadside of a barn. So what’s the culmination of all of this? Goff had a rough night, but in my opinion, TB12 is getting older.

“So what?” You may ask. The “what” is that we are currently living through one of the greatest dynasties to ever grace the NFL. You may hear your grandparents, or even parents for some of you, speak wonders about teams of the olden days such as the Steel Curtain of Pittsburgh during the 70s or the Dallas Cowboys of the 1990s. These Patriots, beginning really in the early 2000s, are that next team. We will be telling these stories to our future kids and the next generation, the story of the 2007 team that went undefeated, or the 28-3 comeback against Atlanta in Super Bowl LI. Although it’s commonplace to hate Brady and the Patriots, for good reason, take a moment and think about how lucky we all are to be watching great football. Even if it isn’t great every game.