• September 271hr Late Start Wednesdays

• September 24Veterans Day Observed (no school), Nov. 12th

• September 24Thanksgiving Break, Nov. 22-23

Filed under News, Showcase

Where’s the Beef

On Friday, January 26th, the Lady Falcons played a basketball game against the Fort Vancouver Trappers. The score was 83-9, Prairie. The scoreboard sparked a great deal of controversy on Twitter the following night. It all started when Owen Frasier, a high school teacher and coach from Fort Vancouver High School posted a tweet saying:

“I don’t care how good or bad either team is, [the score] is SHAMEFUL. And anyone who is allowing this to happen, shame on you. A 74 point win is 100% avoidable. I personally know every single one of these girls and their coach, and they DO NOT deserve this. Sickening.”

Frasier and many people from around the county engaged in a debate about whether it was ethical on Prairie’s behalf to blow the Fort Vancouver Trappers out of the water the way that they did. On Twitter, he claimed that it was “embarrassing”. Amidst the debate, Frasier made it clear that he he respected Prairie and the girls basketball team. His only problem was with what the girls were being taught. The Lady Falcons proved their point. But did their margin have to be that big?

In the Lady Falcons’ defense, they were pouring their heart out in a game that they love. They treated Fort as if they were any other team and played with their all. Not only that, but Prairie played all nonstarters/JV girls. If the Falcons really wanted to embarrass the Trappers, they would have had their starters play all the way through.

There is a strong and passionate argument coming from both sides. Some claim that the wide margin was disrespectful towards the Fort Vancouver Trappers. Others claim that Prairie was simply playing their game and treating the Trappers like any other team. The game between Prairie High School and Fort Vancouver High School was unavoidable given the fact they they are categorized in the same league. No matter the outcome, Prairie would have come out as looking as the “bad guy”. “Not trying” would make the girls looks just as bad as if they were trying their hardest.

In the end, it all boils down to money. Given that Prairie has the funding for their additional summer non-league games—which could be used to better their team— versus a school who is not as fortunate when it comes down to funds, means that the game was never even to begin with. Maybe the WIAA could create a better way to evenly match opponents in the near future so this situation could be avoided. This is a call for reform.